People enjoy an outing on the weekend such as touring model homes because they are in fact “models.” It is easy to picture oneself living in that particular home because everything looks and smells so pretty. If you are trying to sell your home on the resale market, there is hope for you! Read the following tips and your home will appear more beautiful to the prospective buyer.
1. Depersonalize the home. Remove items that make your house feel like your home. Examples include family photos, refrigerator art, collectables, toys, and things that distract a person from looking at the overall layout. People are drawn to look at people, so removing photos is a fabulous first step.
2. Remove large pieces of furniture that make a room feel crowded. If needed, rent a storage unit to free up some floor space so the room looks more open, less cluttered.
3. Stage each room so that the buyer knows its purpose. Prospective buyers need to understand what each room is. If you use a bedroom for an office, turn it back into a bedroom to make the home feel larger to accommodate a larger family. Using the dining room for the pool table? Now would be the time to take a pool break and replace with a table.
4. De-clutter countertops, closets and cabinetry. If the surface is flat, do not pile objects on top of it! Put the mail away and straighten up closets. Buyers will look in the closet so let them see how spacious, not how small it is because it is overflowing with items.
5. Go room by room and check paint on walls and baseboards. Make any necessary repairs now. A thorough cleaning and a fresh coat of a neutral paint will make the room feel and smell fresh. Clean carpets and flooring so that they sparkle. Replace worn carpet if necessary. Use a magic eraser on wall marks.
6. Lighten rooms so that they look large and cheerful. Check for burned out light bulbs. Remove heavy window coverings. Clean blinds and shutters. Trim trees that appear overgrown.
7. Make minor repairs like re-caulking tub and shower, fixing dripping faucets, changing AC filters, balancing a ceiling fan, or any other repair that indicates that the property is well-maintained.
8. Remove any evidence of pets or animals, especially litter boxes. Pick up dog messes in the backyard. Eliminate pet odors with a plug-in air freshener or diffuser.
9. Check the curb appeal of the home. Mow the grass and plant flowers. Cut back or remove overgrown shrubbery. Trim trees. Place colorful pots of flowers by the front door. Check the exterior paint. Repaint the front door and replace old hardware. Remove toys and sports equipment.
10. Give the home warmth and charm. Replace bedspreads and add some new pillows. Hang fresh towels in the bathrooms and remove toiletries. Replace worn mats and rugs. Add a large mirror over a dresser or low piece of furniture to add depth to a small room. Set the dining table with chargers and glassware.
The Canaday Group has an in house interior designer. Call us today to schedule an appointment with her. www.FineHomes4Sale.com